Why NFF yet to confirm Waldrum’s new contract

By Daily Sports Nigeria on September 28, 2023

PUNCH Sports Extra can exclusively report that the cancellation of the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers involving Nigeria and Sao and Principe hindered the contract talks between the Nigeria Football Federation and Randy Waldrum.

Waldrum took over the Super Falcons job in 2020 after he signed a three-year deal with the federation and his contract is set to expire next month.

The country’s football governing body had begun contract renewal talks with American, who led the former African champions to a round of 16 finish at the 2023 Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand last month.

Earlier this month, following reports (not PUNCH Sports Extra) that Waldrum had been sacked after the NFF held its Executive Committee meeting in Uyo, an aide to the NFF president, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told PUNCH Sports Extra that the federation officials were happy with the American gaffer’s performance at the World Cup and thus urged its Technical Committee to immediately reach out to Waldrum for the renewal of a new deal, a one-year contract.

Two weeks after the report, there had been no confirmation announcing the renewal of the 67-year-old coach and a source in the Super Falcons camp had revealed to our correspondent that both parties were scheduled to discuss terms earlier this month.

“The Technical Director reached out to Waldrum to say they wanted to keep him on moving forward,” the source said.

“They were going to meet to renegotiate during the São Tomé games but obviously they didn’t get to do so with the games being cancelled. Hopefully, they will reach out to him soon and start the process.”

The nine-time African champions were to host the Sao Tome and Principe ladies in the first leg of the qualifying match at the Mobolaji Johnson Arena, Lagos September 22, with the return leg scheduled for Tuesday, September, 26.

The Island country however pulled out of the qualifiers citing logistics as the primary reason for their opponents’ withdrawal from the WAFCON qualifiers.

“Sao Tome have officially withdrawn from the game against Nigeria,” he said.

“They said they don’t have a stadium in their country and that has increased their cost of participating in international competitions,” NFF’s Director of Communications, Ademola Olajire, told PUNCH Sports Extra.


 

 

Source Punch Ng

Posted September 28, 2023


 

You may also like...
Hurkacz Seals ATP Finals Spot By Beating Duckworth...

NFF Under Siege As EFCC Drills Top Officials...

Chelsea Re-sign Lukaku For Club Record £97.5m

Eagles Land In America For Mexico Friendly

Super Eagles update: Omeruo, Aribo, Dennis, 15 others...

Leeds Confirm One-Year Contract Extension For Bielsa

 

Latest News Serbia threaten to quit Euro 2024 over chants Cooper appointed Leicester manager Chelsea have ‘genuine’ interest in Omorodion Arsenal won’t pay more than €75m for Osimhen BREAKING: Nigeria drop to 38th, Argentina maintain top spot in FIFA rankings Ex-champion Parker wants Joshua rematch Eagles too reliant on Osimhen – Esin Woods gets PGA Tour lifetime achievement exemption McGregor’s injury 'absolutely real' - White Omwuzurike predicts bright future for Nigerian athletics Ronaldo’s Portugal scrape Euro 2024 opening win, Turkey beat Georgia Arsenal ready €100m Osimhen bid

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (54,113 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (45,176 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (43,262 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (42,896 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (42,751 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (42,632 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (42,498 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (41,984 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (41,005 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (39,971 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (38,389 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (37,890 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media