Del Potro to miss opening grand slam 2017

By Daily Sports on December 25, 2016

Views: 3,153

Juan Martin del Potro will miss the opening grand slam of the 2017 season due to fitness concerns, it was announced Saturday.

Organizers of the Auckland Classic in New Zealand released a statement to say that the popular Argentine would miss both their tournament, which starts on January 2, and the Australian Open later that month.

"Juan Martin del Potro has confirmed he will withdraw from the Australasian swing due to fitness issues," the Classic organisers said.

Del Potro lit up the world of tennis in 2016 with a remarkable comeback which saw him take Olympic silver in the men's singles in Rio, before leading Argentina to its first Davis Cup title last month, beating Marin Cilic in a thrilling five-setter in the final in Zagreb.

Juan Martin Del Potro and Andy Murray embrace after their memorable gold medal match at the Rio Olympics.

Juan Martin Del Potro and Andy Murray embrace after their memorable gold medal match at the Rio Olympics.

He finished the season ranked 38th, including notable wins over Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Stan Wawrinka and No.1 Andy Murray, having started it outside the top 1,000.

A persistent wrist injury has stalled Del Potro's career, its highlight being victory in the 2009 US Open, beating Roger Federer in the final, sidelining him for much of the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Read: Murray retains Olympic title after epic del Potro battle

The 1.98m del Potro demonstrated he had returned to near his best form by pushing Murray all the way in a remarkable final at the Rio Games, then turning the tables on the Scot by beating him in the singles in the Davis Cup semifinals as Argentina knocked out holder Britain.

With all looking lost for Argentina as it trailed 2-1 to Croatia in the final, del Potro beat world number six Cilic in another epic encounter to set up victory for his country.

But the effort may have taken its toll and Auckland organizers said that Del Potro's management team had advised them that he had not had "sufficient recovery time" to take part in the early season events.

It is a blow for the Auckland tournament, which has Serena and Venus Williams among its line-up in the women's singles, but was billing del Potro as its star attraction in the men's singles.

In other tennis news Saturday, American Madison Keys confirmed she will miss the Australian Open with a minor wrist injury.

Keys finished 2016 ranked eighth but has had surgery on her left wrist since playing in the end of season WTA Championships and has not recovered in time for the Australian Open which starts on January 16.

"I will not be ready to play the 2017 Australian Open," Keys, 21, said in a Twitter posting.

Among leading players, she joins Petra Kvitova on the sidelines, the Czech having been ruled out for six months after an horrific knife attack at her home earlier this week. (cnn.com)

•Photo shows Juan Martin del Potro

Source Daily Sports

Posted December 25, 2016


 

You may also like...
The Hues And Cries about Joseph Yobo’s Eagles...

Heartland player’s death scare: Timely reminder for our...

Ex-Man United Captain Vidic’s plan to be a...

Accidental Handball Rule Changed By Lawmakers

Sterling agrees £300,000 per week City deal

Decision of the NFF Disciplinary Committee

 

Latest News BAR TAB Lionel Messi heads on holiday with Barcelona pals Cesc Fabregas and Luis Suarez in Ibiza alongside stunning Wags UAM Tillers, DELSU Titans qualify HiFL’s round of 16 Dare splashes N2m on victorious Golden Eaglets, praises NFF Ndugba, Iroegbu lead D’Tigers’ 12-man squad to FIBA African World Cup qualifiers Okagbare’s additional one-year ban has badly depleted our squad, AFN laments Rangers Legend, Miller Urges Aribo To Join Crystal Palace ‘World Cup Qualification More Important Than Winning WAFCON’ —Super Falcons Coach, Waldrum Cech joins list of Chelsea departures Joshua will bomb out Usyk to regain titles, says trainer Djokovic brings curtain up on Wimbledon 2022 WAFU B: Five Eaglets Players Make Team Of The Tournament, Ugbade Named Best Coach NFF Election 2022: The Case Against Amaju Pinnick’s Tenure Elongation Tricks

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (49,918 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (41,103 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (39,529 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (39,505 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (39,242 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (39,074 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (38,801 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (38,182 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (37,562 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (36,477 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (34,838 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (34,298 views)

 

 


 

News Athletics (419) Basketball (302) Boxing (725) Columnists (670) Euro Soccer Update (13611) Fans Assembly (6) From the Grassroots (68) Golf (121) Interviews (17) Live Commentary (7) News (8097) NPL Glo Premier League (1316) People and Places (22) Readers Parliament (10) Tennis (930)

 

 

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media